Have you been waiting for the next Mary Meeker’s 2017 internet trends report? Here it is. We extracted 25 important points for you. Enjoy!
1. Global internet users = 3.4 billion… Flat growth + 10% vs. 10% year/year (y/y)
2. Global smartphone shipments = Slowing +3% vs. +10% y/y
3. The time an adult user in the U.S. spends on the internet per day: 3.1 hours on mobile vs. 2.2 hours on desktop/laptop
4. Online advertising ($73 billion) = +22% vs. 20% y/y. Growth is driven by mobile. Desktop traffic is going down. Digital advertising is growing faster than TV ads.
5. FB ad revenue: +62% y/y, Google +20% y/y, Other +9% y/y
6. Advertising inefficiency = increasingly exposed by data
7. Effective UGC can generate 6.9x higher engagement than brand generated content on FB
8. Voice can replace typing: 20% of mobile queries made via voice. Voice recognition accuracy continues to improve = 95%
9. e-Commerce is still growing = +15% Y/Y in the US
10. 2.6 billion gamers vs. 100 million in 1995. Revenue @ $100 billion, +9% y/y. $47 billion in Asia Pacific.
11. Time spent daily across select digital media platforms: Video Gaming (51 min), Facebook (50 min), King / Mobile games (35 min), Snapchat (30 min), Instagram (21 min)
12. eSports monthly viewers @ 161 million = +40% y/y and accelerating
13. Network TV in the U.S. is in trouble: -10% of minutes delivered compared to 2011 vs. Netflix +669% over the past 5 years
14. Snap's original short-form shows: Phone Swap (10+ million views for first episode) and Second Chance (8+ million views for first episode).
15. Paid TV household growth = -1.3% average for last 12 quarters. Also, programming costs have more than doubled since 2006.
16. Spending for Clouds = +37% of total IT infrastructure spends ($36 billion) compared to 2014. AWS still leading. Azure + Google rising.
17. In China, technology companies are leading public market wealth creation.
18. Also in China: 700 million mobile internet users = +12% y/y vs. 11% in 2015
19. Global interactive game revenue: China is the #1 market in the world. U.S. is #3.
20. China mobile payment volume = increased more than 2x y/y to $5 trillion
21. China eCommerce = +24% y/y @ $681 billion. 71% is mobile.
22. China On-Demand Transportation is the #1 global market for cars + bikes.
23. India internet users = +28% vs. 40% y/y growth. 355 million users (27% penetration). The country is still #2 behind China. Also, 80% of internet usage on mobiles. 45% of this mobile time = entertainment. 7x more TV viewers.
24. USA = 60% of most highly valued tech companies founded by first or second generation Americans. 50% of those companies were founded by the first generation.
25. The economic growth driver in the 21st century = compute power + human potential.